Friday, May 9, 2008

Our journey

(My family saying good bye..)

On February 9, 2008, my family and I departed to Perth, Australia. My husband is continuing his study in Information Management specialize in archive and records at Curtin University of Technology Bentley Campus. It was sad day, leaving family and friends behind but study is important too. I, as a matter of fact a bit worry staying in other country with my five children along, how they will cope with new environment? Only Allah Knows.......










(happily waiting for departure)





One hour late of departure we arrived at Perth Airport around 4.30p.m. We met one family from Malaysia who also had the same purpose of journey. Curtin had arranged the transport to go to hotel but the van only accommodate one family, so they go first. We felt hungry and tired but cannot find any halal cafe. Then I heard somebody gave salam, one Malay lady!. She is studying here also and guess what....she is the President of Perth Malay Student. I consider we were lucky to meet her, she gave us tips on living in Perth. Through her we got to know that my classmates are here! How exciting I felt.



Then the van came...all have to fasten set belt (compulsory, Malaysia recently in the process to implement...I read through internet) and we were sent to All Seasons Hotel. New in this place and its began to dark we only drink milo to fill our stomach...On Sunday, we strolled around the city and we found Sri Melayu Restaurant but it opened at 11.00a.m. meanwhile, we buy Maggi made in Malaysia at one continental shop. At 11.00 off we go to the restaurant, nasi goreng more han 8 dollar, wow! but we were hungry, just eat !



On Monday, my husband went to uni to settle his enrollment and dealt on the rental house with the uni housing department. At the hotel, I asked the receptionist about my stay there, the uni only booked until Monday, i tried to extend but the hotel was fully booked...! Oh my God...what to do? I have to checked out at 11.00a.am. Luckily, the hotel gave me time until 2.00p.m. I called my husband, he tried his best to get the house to rent that very same day. 2.00 o'clock....I have to packed my things, checked out, and nowhere to go, we just wait at the hotel lobby. Called my husband, still no progress on the house...I called my friend at University of Western Australia, and about 3.00p.m. he turned up with his wife and brought a long list of hotels, hostels, inns and yellow pages. What a great friend I have! We called the numbers until my friend had to top up his prepaid but unfortunately, all were fully booked. Actually I felt guilty because I dragged him and his wife with my problem, but they are very kind and helpful. Thank you friends.



Then, using my friend's handphone (because I don't have mine yet) I called the uni and my husband still at the housing department, he gave me the number of one of the hotel called Bentley Motor Inn. My friend called the hotel for me, Alhamdulillah there were two rooms vacancy, without any further thinking i asked him to book the rooms, no need to think about the money now. At 4.00p.m. they have to go and there, me and my children waiting, what's next? My children were starving, luckily there were fruits that my husband bought before and drinks that my friend left for us. I felt really like Musafir at that time. About 5.30p.m. my husband came, we called the maxi taxi (taxi like a van) to accommodate 7 people and the luggages. Off we went to Bentley Motor Inn.. My husband then told me that he already got the house but it will be available on Tuesday, the next day at 4.00p.m. Its fine with me.



"Mom, where we gonna stay tonite?"


On the next day, he went to uni for orientation and came back on the afternoon with halal foods. Afterwards, we settled the house rental process with the agent. Here, most of the house owner rent out their property through agent, we have to sign the agreement and pay the bon. (this bon will be returned back if the owner satisfied with the condition of the house at the end of the contract). Any complain or problem regarding the house we have to liaise through agent.
At about 5.00p.m. we checked out from the hotel and moved in the house located at St. James suburb. We felt very grateful and relieved. To add to our gratefullness, my friend, Razak and his wife, Eda came over to my house and brought pizza. A moment later, the lady from the airport, the president, I called her Kak Ijan also came with spaghetti. Already, I can felt the spirit of brotherhood and sisterhood and washed away my worries.


More fortunate, my house is near to halal butcher and primary school, my children can walk to school. I will continue the story of my new life later.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would like to hear from you...!